Safety is our #1 priority to ensure summer fun
JCC Facility Policies and Procedures state that “member children ages 13 and older are permitted to be unaccompanied in the JCC facilities without parental or adult supervision.” This rule extends to the pool deck, as long as supervising lifeguard is notified during each visit by the parent and an emergency contact form is on file in the aquatic office.
LEVIN JCC AQUATIC FACILITY RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following rules and regulations are necessary for the safe operation of our pool and will be strictly enforced. Any member wishing to use the pool is required to read and be familiar with them.
Member children ages 13 and older are permitted to be unaccompanied in the JCC facilities without adult supervision. This rule extends to the pool deck, as long as the supervising lifeguard is notified during each visit by the parent and an emergency contact form is on file in the aquatic office.
Member children ages 10-12 are permitted to be unaccompanied in the JCC facilities (with the exception of the Fitness Center) as long as a parent/guardian is on JCC premises. This rule extends to the pool deck only if a swimmer has a green band.
Member children under 10 years of age are NOT allowed on the pool deck unless accompanied by a parent/guardian AT ALL TIMES. The only exception is for children ages 6-9 who are in a supervised program (i.e., swim team, swim class, etc.) – during these programs the parent/guardian must be on JCC premises but is not required to remain on the pool deck. Member children who are 5 and under must have a responsible parent/guardian on the pool deck at all times, even if the child is in a supervised program.
Member children ages 4 and under must have a parent/guardian in the water within arm’s reach at all times, unless the child is in a supervised program.
All individuals ages 14 and under must be swim tested. Patrons must be re-tested at the beginning of EVERY pool season.
- Red Band: Swimmers with red bands are only allowed to swim in the shallow end of the lap pool when an adult is within arm’s reach. They are allowed to be in the family pool without a parent so long as they are at least 5 years old and have a parent within the deck area who has continuous visual contact with the child (i.e., not reading, talking on a cell phone, etc.).
- Yellow band: Swimmers with yellow bands are allowed in shallow (chest-deep or lower) water areas only. To qualify for a yellow band, a swimmer must be able to swim half the length (about 12.5 yards) of the pool without touching/relying on the walls.
- Green band: Swimmers with green bands are allowed in shallow and deep water areas. To qualify for a green band, swimmers must be able to tread water for 1 minute and swim 25 yards without touching the pool bottom or sides.
GENERAL POOL RULES
- No one is allowed in the pool or on the pool deck unless a JCC lifeguard is on duty. Lifeguards have final authority to enforce all rules of the pool. For safety reasons, conversations with lifeguards who are actively watching the swimming pools must be kept brief. Please refer to our pool hours here.
- All Band-Aids must be removed prior to entering the pool. We recommend using liquid Band-Aids. Please be considerate and use discretion with wounds that have not healed sufficiently.
- Children who are not completely potty trained must wear a swim diaper and vinyl pants. Older children are encouraged to use the restroom before entering the pool.
- Swimmers are not allowed to chew gum or have any type of hard candy or food in their mouths while in the pool.
- Swimmers should be conscious of the amount of food you’ve consumed prior to swimming.
- Inclement Weather Procedure: In case of inclement weather such as heavy rain with no thunder and lightning, fog, or temperatures below 75 degrees, the outdoor pool will close at the discretion of the Aquatic Manager or Aquatic Supervisor. For directions to sign up for pool closure text alerts, go HERE or by texting @jpool2019 to the number 81010.
- Thunder & Lightening Safety: In accordance with the National Lightning Safety Institute, we will clear our outdoor aquatic facility when we hear thunder or see lightning. It will remain closed until no thunder or lightning has been detected for 30 consecutive minutes. We ask all patrons to completely clear the pool deck due to the inherent danger to you and our staff.
- Please walk at all times when on the pool deck. Running is strictly prohibited.
- Fins should be worn in the water only. No walking while wearing fins, even on pool stairs or ladders.
- Food and drink are allowed but must be kept at least four feet from the pool.
- Swimmers must shower before entering the water.
- Please do not hang on lane lines or play on the entry ramp of the lap pool. The entry ramp should be used only for access to the pool.
- Use of equipment is at the discretion of the lifeguard.
- Lap swimmers should circle swim during high usage times.
- Diving is permitted in designated areas only.
- The JCC assumes no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage of personal items.
These items are strictly prohibited in the pool area:
- foul language
- breath holding
- glass containers
- alcoholic beverages
- vaporizers and e-cigarettes
- water guns or large squirt toys
- pets (exception only for Doggie Pool Party)
DIVING BOARD RULES
- Use of the diving board is prohibited unless a lifeguard is sitting in the chair next to the board. If the area is marked closed by a sign or other device, no one is allowed to use the diving board.
- To use the diving board, children must have a green band.
- No sunglasses allowed on the diving board.
- Patrons may not move the fulcrum of the diving board.
- Only one person may be on the diving board at a time (including the ladder). The next person should wait on the deck until swimmers reach the side ladder of the pool.
- No multiple bounces, hanging from the diving board, running on the diving board, or swimming under the diving board.
- Children are not permitted to jump off the diving board to parents or other patrons in the water. Only JCC swim instructors are allowed to do this under the watch of a lifeguard.
- Divers should promptly exit the water at the nearest pool ladder.
- Use of the slide is prohibited unless an attendant is on duty. If the area is marked closed by a sign or other device, no one is allowed to use the slide.
- To use the slide, children must be at least 44 inches tall and have a green or yellow band.
- No sunglasses or flotation devices allowed on the slide.
- No diving, running, standing, kneeling, rotating, or stopping on the slide.
- Patrons must go feet first, on their back only, down the slide. No traveling head first down the slide. All parts of the body must remain within the slide at all times.
- Only one person may be on the slide at a time.
- After sliding, patrons should promptly exit the slide area.
- Guests are subject to the same rules and regulations as members while at the Aquatics Facility.
- Guests may purchase a pass at the front desk. JCC members may also bring guests to the Aquatic Facility according to the membership guest policy. Members are responsible for their guests at all times.
- In order to ensure everyone’s safety at the pool and adequate lifeguard coverage, members must notify the Director of Healthy Living at least 48 hours in advance if they plan to bring more than four guests to the swimming pool during one visit.
Offences such as excessive running, horseplay, profane language, pushing, fighting, backtalk and dunking are subject to disciplinary action. Violations will be subject to the following guidelines:
- 1st offense – verbal warning
- 2nd offense – 5-minute “time out” from swimming; patron will be required to sit beside the lifeguard
- 3rd offense – expulsion from the pool for the remainder of the day
- 4th offense – one week suspension from the pool area
- 5th offense – suspension of pool membership
Serious incidents may skip steps in the discipline guidelines. Guests involved in offenses subject to a third or higher offense will not be allowed to return as a guest.